Friday 5 June 2015

Brickwork not up to the required standard

First it was the slab, then the frame and then the sisalation that we had issues with that needed resolving. Now it's been highlighted to me by an independant inspector that the quality of my brickwork is not compliant with the regulations required.  The issue is a lack of mortar in the perpends (nearly all the perpends in my house). The issue occurs due to sloppy bricklaying and a process called one-sided flick jointing. For those who don't know, the perpend is the vertical layer of mortar between two bricks.

Normally, I wouldn't have got to see this problem, but with the issues with the cavity between the frame and brickwork being breached with mortar, and most of the sisalation throughout the whole house needing to be cut open to scrape out the excess mortar, it gave me a good opportunity to see the inside face of the brickwork and what a poor quality job it was.

The fact that we had an excess of mortar in the cavity, yet the perpends were empty baffles me. I can only think that too much mortar was applied to the bottom/top of the brick and not enough to the sides.

The issue can be seen in the photos below;





Because of this, I thought I'd do a bit of research and see if I could find the relevant standards that the brickwork should be built in accordance with.

What I found were;

The NCC (National Construction Code) regulation;

Which states that unreinforced masonry must be designed and construction in accordance with AS3700 (Australian Standards).

AS3700 for workmanship of mortar joints lists the following;


Vertical joints shall be filled!

And finally there's the Victorian Guide for Standards and Tolerances 2015;

Voids and holes in mortar are defective!

Seems pretty clear to me that the perpends on our brickwork in no way comply with what the regulations require.

I've already approached the regional construction manager about this, but he hasn't shown any interest in resolving the issue. He hasn't even acknowledged that the required standard has not been met and told me it was 90% of the way there and not too worry. 90%! I don't remember signing up to buy a house that was 90% complete to standard and am pretty disgusted with the blazay attitude I'm getting. Perhaps any future payments I make should only be 90% of what they ask for if they think that 90% is an acceptable number.

No comments:

Post a Comment